Note that 7T has ventilators in the panel above the windows, while 11T
had none. I made the vetnilators by cutting long strips of 1/32"
balsa wood to a width that would just fit in the space and then scribed
them with a sharp edge to represent the four louvers of the
vents. I then flattened the top edge of each "louver" with a
dental tool to create
the impression of depth and relief. I cut the long strips to a
length to fit in the opening and glued them in place. More on the
use of balsa later...
With four sides on my hands, it seemed logical to next make floors and
ends to hold
them together. I cut the ends from 1/8" ply. The ends were
cut exactly to width and roughly to height. I traced the roof
line onto the ends and used my disk sander to form the final profile,
and then cut a 3/32" notch along the vertical edges to
receive the coach sides. The floor was cut from 1/4" pine
planking I had on the shelf, which I measured carefully to be a snug
fit inside the ends and sides. I
first glued and nailed the ends to the floors then glued on the
sides--and rather to my surprise, everything came out fitting well and
rather square. I then covered the ends with a piece of 1/32" ply
scribed to simulate planking; this piece also covered the vertical
seams with the coach sides. But this creates a visible vertical
seam on the sides, I hear you say. Aha! Look at the photo
above--note there's a L-shaped area around the outer edge of the door
frames? This is when I filled those in with rectangles of 1/32"
ply which happily covered up the seams. I then applied 1/32"
beading around the edges of the ends. The curved beading along
the top edge was cut from a rectangle of ply cut to a length that fit
snugly between the vertical bits. I then traced the roof outline
and cut and sanded to the line. Then I used a compass and pencil
to mark the bottom
edge and cut to the line with a utility knife. This was the
result after all that:
Actually this photo was taken before I'd put the last bit of beading on
the ends, but this lets you see how the sides and ends fit together and
the seams the beading will cover up.
At this point they were beginning to look a bit like something that
might one day become coaches, but the fun
had barely begun. The
saga continues on page two.
Click here to go to the next page.